Acknowledging the popular opposition to blogging as self-important, I nevertheless have been musing about the world and wished to put my thoughts down somewhere. I'm going to start with a political current event:
So I read and watched news reports and commentary about Barack Obama's recent statements in San Francisco. I feel I may be in the minority as a person who doesn't think what he said was that bad. I thought the most offensive thing was Obama referring to "middle-America" as "they." That type of othering is not desirable in a presidential candidate and surprising for a person who attempts to reach across lines and divisions.
But that aside, his statement is one I could have seen myself saying at one time. I think he likely misspoke. His statement was an exaggeration, but I think it reflects concerns about some of the backwardness evinced in America. I don't think he views religion as a negative; I think he views blind fanatacism as a negative. I don't think he views guns necessarily as a negative; I think he views gun culture and proliferation as negatives.
I am not even a decided democratic voter yet. I was for Obama, then Clinton, but now I am again in between. I just think that people need to look at things more practically. The media always blows US election news out of proportion.
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment